We have been through a lot together, and I truly enjoy the twists and turns our relationship has taken over the years. I have been a huge fan since I decided that Pitt was my dream school as a high school freshman. Sure, when I was 10, I had big dreams of being the power forward for the Duke women's team. I even called the admission's office (much to my dad's amusement) and informed the secretary that I will be playing basketball for them. When she asked for my graduation date, I replied " I will graduate in 2001" (it was 1993).
Once high school rolled around, I stopped playing basketball professionally(though I tour up the rec leagues), and decided Pitt was the school of my dreams. When I got to Pitt, I couldn't wait to become part of the "Oakland Zoo", smashing into the seats of the Fieldhouse that didn't do the team playing there justice. My moods depended on whether Pitt won or loss. I fell in love with Brandin Knights ability to handle the ball, and recognizing that he was part of team, a team that he was the leader of. I loved Ontario Lett, the giant, stocky center during my Freshman year, who I just wanted him to wrap me in a huge bear hug, and practically suffocate me. I cursed Howland for leaving the team and boys he loved so much to go to pansy UCLA(which was where his roots were, and he's done great things for the team, blah blah blah)
I was there after the Knight era, when Krauser took over as point, and just royally screwed with my emotions. I hated him. He was a ball hog that tried to keep all the glory to himself. It aggravated the hell out of me when he would drive up the middle through 4 guys, and try to throw up a lay up, when there were 3 open teammates standing there, perfectly capable of scoring points. Julius Page, I partied with and made him buy me beers since my tuition paid for the Escalade he was driving around. He was a good sport, I mean, he put up with all my bullshit and still wanted to hang out me. Mostly because I wasn't frothing at the mouth to get a chance to suck his dick just because he was a big bad basketball player. Thanks for the good times J.
I had numerous crushes on players. First, there was Chevon Troutman. He was just so pretty, and aggressive under the basket. I didn't mind that he had his name tattooed down the BACK of his arm, so if he ever forgot his name, he could just hold his arm up and see it in the mirror. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he did manage to carry me home from the bars after my 21st birthday. Not my finest moment. Perhaps my most notorious crush was on Levon Kendall, good ol' canadian bacon. I had a class with him in which I dreamed that he would see what an amazing person I was and that I would enrich his life if he would just go out with me. My friend A used to feed my stalker tendencies by printing out pictures of him and giving them to me. She even made me a wall hanging collage of pictures featuring Levon. I have since moved on, however, Levon will always hold a place in my heart.
But, I digress...back to you, Jamie, I have a request, one that I feel is a very reasonable request. I want you to make it past the Sweet 16 this year. I will accept the poor performance at the Big East tournament in the hopes that it will fuel you to inspire your team to take it to the house and just tear shit up. I do love watching you walk up and down the bench, screaming your head off, which your black hair slicked back, and your face all furrowed. However, each year, I get my hopes up that this will be the year we make it to the Elite 8...I'm not even asking for the Final 4 or championship (although both would be much appreciated). You guys break my heart every year, and I vow that this year will be the last time....but then in rolls Nov, and you whisper sweet nothings in my year, promising a championship season, and like a crack addict, I get sucked back in. Please, give this girl what she wants. An Elite 8 appearance. I really don't think it's asking too much.
Love Always,
L
I Guess This is Technically My Last Post.
16 years ago
PS.
ReplyDeleteI would like to also point out that Pitt, you have earned your first-ever No. 1 seed, which means the committee has recognized your talent and promise for making it through this tourney in true Big East style. I just want you to know I love you all, and if you need an extra towel or water girl...I'm your sweat slut. I'm just saying...my gas tank is full. I can be ready at a moment's notice....
But back to more important things. I'm going to take your loss to WV as your recognition that it wasn't worth the extra effort (I mean, I believe Pittsnogle now lives in a trailer). Biggs, Fields, and Young...this is it guys. Your chance to lead Pitt through and make your opponents play YOUR game. You've got some competition, but I swear if you can do me a solid, I will swap my current blue and white for blue and gold when you guys go head-to-head and swear I've never lived below the Mason-Dixon line.
Love,
A