(I apologize for the following...it can only be described as a momentary lapse in reality and we will resume with our regularly scheduled blogs following this breakdown)
I have never considered myself to be one of those girls that has her wedding all planned out and was just dying to get married. I always had four steadfast stipulations for my wedding that my future groom had to agree to: 1- that I am wearing flip flops to walk down the isle, 2- our first dance will be to ACDC "Shook me all night long", 3- my brother needs to be allowed to sing Meatloaf "I will Do anything for love" in the later portion of the reception, 4- I will forgo an expensive dress for an open bar.
After this weekend, however, I find myself undergoing wedding fever. One of my friends from high school, Brett is getting married this summer, and I attended his wedding shower this past weekend. Brett and I never actually dated in high school, but we did like each other at certain points. I went to his senior prom with him, and we always had a great time together. The timing was never right for us, and it clearly turned out better in the end because we are great friends. However, I found myself at certain points during the shower experiencing what can only be described as pangs of regret that it wasn't me getting ready to marry Brett. I am in no way in love with him, and can't say that I ever was, but I think it was more the fact that, all of a sudden, I wanted to be getting married.
I started fantasizing about how I would proposed to, where I would get married, who would be my bridesmaids and where we would go on our honeymoon. It's insane. I had to stop myself and realize how crazy I was being. I am in not even close to being ready for this point in my life, however, this is all I can think about. I find myself daydreaming at work about my dress and what colors the bridesmaids dresses would be. Do I want to be outside or inside? What food would we serve? Would it be entirely insane to want a cheese and a chocolate fountain? Can we to a shot when we toast instead of champagne or does that make us look like raging alcoholics? Do i have to invite my born again Christan cousins (look for a later blog covering this topic)? Will my crazy grandma insist on wearing white, get hammered off tequila sunrises, steal the mic and talk about her colorful past where she would hitch hike with handsome truck drivers? CRAZY.
The kicker of everything is that Champ and I have talked about getting married already. We had this discussion a few weeks back after some beer pong action, and it was just one of those normal everyday conversations you have with someone you're "pre-dating" about your future wedding plans. No. Big. Deal.
I wouldn't necessarily call this a quarter-life-crisis/breakdown...but rather a momentary digression into crazy-female-mental status. I am back to normal now, but just needed to get that off my chest.
LOVE!
I Guess This is Technically My Last Post.
16 years ago
Welcome to the "everyone else on the planet is getting married, except you" phase. (which comes right before the "everyone is pregnant phase", just wait for it). I too have found myself picking out the food (heavy on the booze), venue, music (i was thinking grandma and i could dance to "i believe in a thing called love", by the darkness), and wedding dresses (which, my mother has consistently sent me catalogs for, however i am not engaged and i'm still missing a groom). i have even considered what i will be doing with my hair. it's that scary. all this from a girl who thinks most modern brides look like white meringues. i don't even like the idea of walking down an aisle. (meet me at the bar?)But there it is. Someone could tell me I was getting married in 6 weeks and I have my hairdresser on speed dial. I don't know what it is...maybe it's the you-are-now-closer-to-30-than-21 itch. And as my labmate so graciously pointed out, at this point there are people out there that have been married long enough that they are getting divorced. So all i have to do is wait for some divorcee to come around and i'll be set. SWEET.
ReplyDeleteLOVE!
Yea...turns out my friends are starting the whole "we're getting married" phase, so I have wedding showers and weddings galore. Is it bad that I want to look amazing at these weddings? I promise that I will not try to one-up you at your wedding. I don't know what it is...well, I'm a bitch. Bottom line.
ReplyDelete