Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hole in my soul = Eternity in Hell

(I am not apologizing for this rant, however, if I offend your religious beliefs, then perhaps we can schedule a time, over a beer, and discuss our spiritual differences. If, after that, we decide we can no longer be friends, so be it. We probably we're that close anyway.)

I will be the first to admit that I am not a religious person. I was raised Catholic and did the whole Catholic school thing for about 6years, but am no longer praciticing. We stopped going to church about 5 years ago, when we got my mom hammered off a few bottles of wine and we just "forgot' to go. I have nothing against those who are into their religion, in fact, more power to them. I don't know what I believe in, if anything, but I'm open to ideas and discussing them with people of other faiths.

What I can not stand are religious zealots, and unfotunately, I am related to 4 of them, and I got to experience what can only be described as the most uncomfortable 2.5 hour graduation on the face of the planet. My cousins are born-again Chirstians, who are completely brain-washed to the point that it doesn't amuse me to argue with them because I simply feel pity for them. They told me I was going to hell because I read Harry Potter, which promotes witchcraft, which is a sin according to the Bible. Now, being a former Catholic school girl, I've read the Bible, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't condem reading a fantasy book for entertainment.

So, I was forced to go to a Christian high school graduation ceremony the other weekend, however, there were only 10 kids graduating, so I really thought it wouldn't be all that terrible. Boy, was I wrong! The commencement speaker was an Evangelical preacher, who yelled for 45min about how there is a hole in our souls that can only be filled by accepting Jesus into our hearts. He went on to say that some "scientists" (yes, he did the air quotes), believe that we came into being due to some Big Bang, or because there was some tad pole that grew a tale, that became a monkey that then became a man and that man got a PhD and feels that he knows "everything". But he is wrong, and he hasn't not accepted Jesus into his heart and will be going to hell unless he does so. Being a scientist myself, I subscribe to the whole evolution theory and took offense to this statement.

Aside from my personal offense, I was completely put off by the whole sermon, because not once did the preacher address the graduates. Not once did he talk about entering into the next phase in their life and wish them well for what lies ahead. Instead, he used the graduation as a recruiting platform. I half expected them to pass out Kool Aid and tell everyone to drink it and they will be saved. People in the congregation were yelling out "Amen" and "That's Right". I was surprised no one started shaking uncontrolably, or the cripple in the back getting "healed" and walking again. These kids were so brainwashed, and they have no idea what lies ahead in college or the "real" world. I felt pity for these kids, because they will never be able to think for themselves, and therefore will miss out a number of experiences in life.

I do not agree with the Catholic church on a number of things, which is why I no longer attend, however, I do feel that the education I had, helped to shape my moral backbone (which is quite loose, but intact nonetheless), and I am thankful for that experience.

I was disappointed that the preacher did not stick around after the ceremony because I would have enjoyed telling him that this evolution-believing scientist is driving the first class bus to hell, and can't wait to see what the devil has in store for her and her friends when she gets there!

LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment